Thursday, January 20, 2005

I Learned how to Knit!

Knifty Knitter Knitting LoomsRaven is responsible for my new obsession for knitting, crocheting, and collecting way too much yarn since Thanksgiving, when she discovered the Knifty Knitter looms, and together, we knitted some funky scarves and hats that only a mother could love. After a few weeks, our techniques improved, and with better yarns, we actually have cool scarves and warm hats. The looms are a fun, fast, and easy way to knit, especially for kids, but they have their limits.
Raven's First Loom Knitting ProjectsMy curiosity for all yarn crafts grew, and I splurged on books, yarn, and tools. After a few long nights with my Susan Bates Knitting Made Easy Kit, I taught myself to knit! I couldn't stop there, so with my Ultimate Sourcebook of Knitting and Crochet Stitches, I learned to crochet! Since none of my friends share my excitement, I started cruising Hobby Lobby and Michaels looking for yarn buddies. Most crafters love to chat about their work, so sometimes the chats turn into mini-conferences in the middle of the needlecraft section.

Lately, I've had dreams of knitting beautiful fuzzy sweaters and hip little tops. I was even struck with the urge to make my own needles. I got a few hardwood dowels, brought them back to the factory where I work, and then cut, sanded, glued, and polished little works of functional beauty. They knit great for me, but before I can gloat, I must find some veteran knitters to give them a test drive.
Hand Crafted Wooden Knitting Needles

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, however, I moderate weekly, so your comment may not appear for several days. If you have a question, please remember to post your contact info. Thanks!