Saturday, April 15, 2006

Tunisian anyone?

Tunisian CrochetAfter organizing my needlework again, I came across my afghan crochet hook that's been dormant in a drawer for about a year now. Also called Tunisian crochet, this method is surprisingly simple. If you really like it, or want to dig deep into all forms of crochet, I suggest Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet. It's got it all, from history, basics, thread, lace, filet, wire, afghan, patterns, stitch library, and complete instructions for lefties too!


Tunisian CrochetI now know why they call this afghan crochet - it's fast. This is my first attempt, and I whipped up this 8" swatch in about 20 minutes, so rationally, I could whip out a 40" square baby blanket in 8 hours. Thinking big, I could use chunky or bulky, or double medium yarn on huge hooks, so a nice thick last-minute blanket is not an unreasonable project to endure the night before a shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, however, I moderate weekly, so your comment may not appear for several days. If you have a question, please remember to post your contact info. Thanks!