Friday, February 22, 2008

Diagonal Knit Dishcloth Pattern

Diagonal Knit DishclothsI'm in a simple knitting phase again. I introduced my version of this popular dishcloth pattern it to some of my knitting students. Susan made 3 in a week. I made 4 this past week.

SUPPLIES:

• 2 oz. ball of worsted weight cotton yarn
(2 balls of variegated Sugar-n-Cream or
Peaches-n-Crème will make 3 dishcloths)
• Size 8 (5.0 mm) knitting needles
(or size needed to obtain gauge)
• Gauge 9 sts=2" (5 cm)

Finished size is approximately 8 x 8 inches

INSTRUCTIONS:

Cast on 3 sts.
Row 1: K3.
Row 2: K1, Kf&b, K1 (4 sts).
Row 3: K2, Kf&b, K1 (5 sts).
Row 4: K2, Kf&b, K2 (6 sts).
Row 5: K3, YO, K to end of row
Repeat last row until you have 50 sts.

Decrease row: K2, K2tog, YO, K2tog, K to end of row.
Repeat decrease row until 6 sts remain.
Next row: K2, K2tog, K2 (5 sts).
Next row: K2, K2tog, K1 (4 sts).
Next row: K1, K2tog, K1 (3 sts).
Bind off row: Slip 1 st from left needle to right, K2tog, bind off slipped st, then pull yarn through last st to fasten off. Weave in the ends.

Kf&b: (Knit front & back) Increase a stitch by knitting the next stitch, but do not remove the stitch from the left needle. Place the right needle into the back of the same stitch and knit again. Slip stitch off left needle.

YO: (Yarn over) Increase a stitch and create an eyelet by bringing yarn to the front, and then wrap the yarn over the top of the right needle from front to back.

K2tog: (Knit 2 together) Decrease a stitch by putting tip of right needle through next 2 stitches on left needle, and knit these 2 stitches as one stitch.

11 comments:

  1. Those are awesome! You teach at Michael's right? Is it true that they're discontinuing all of their craft classes except for cake decorating? I heard that on the Crochet Partners Yahoo group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Grandma's Favorite Dishcloth pattern! You can also make it very easily on a dishcloth rake. I have a video on my blog showing how.
    www.knitknotpurlcurl.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mei, don't forget! I need your address. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was one of the first full dishcloth patterns I ever knit. I thought it looked nice in the Peaches & Cream Denim blue ombre. Eventually I took it apart. A bad habit, I guess! I have a question. Don't you add a 'YO, K3' at the end of the increasing rows to make eyelets on both sides of the cloth?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the pattern. I've been whipping these up one after the other. I think a few will be bundled up and handed out as Yule gifts.

    My boss even saw me making one during lunch break today and told me how much she adores these cloths. She still uses the ones her Grams made for her. I think St. Nick will drop a few new ones in her stocking this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great dishcloths, I make them for all of my friends and family. Does anyone know how to make them thinner? I tried smaller needles but that just makes them too stiff. Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larger needles would make them looser, and lighter yarn would make them thinner.

      Delete
  7. Hi,
    Thank you so much for sharing this pattern. My mother used to make these, but I don't have this pattern. I had another similar pattern, but it did not have the boarder. I can't wait to try it. I treasure the ones my mom made before she passed away. Now I can make some that I will use.
    Linda A

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mine never come out 'square' because of the weight of the bottom portion while knitting the end of the pattern. Is there a secret? I won't block them every time too time consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mine don't come out perfectly square either unless I block them. But I don't worry about that, because they are dishcloths after all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can I use size 7 needles

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, however, I moderate weekly, so your comment may not appear for several days. If you have a question, please remember to post your contact info. Thanks!