Friday, December 09, 2011

My Very First Yarn

Ok, I found it. I found the first yarn I ever spindled, back in fall 2006. Then I never spun again. It just seemed like a whole lot of work for very little yarn. And then when comparing prices :-O it was more expensive to buy the materials than to buy commercial yarn. (I’m still trying to figure that one out.) This is like 20-ish yards of superbulky thick-n-thin yarn from commercial wool top that my spinning friend Kelley gave me and tried to teach a couple of us how to spin using CD-spindles.

You should’ve seen me trying to ply this. My friend was gone, and I had no idea what I was doing. So I unrolled the singles and laid them out, zigzag across my bed. Then I picked up the two ends and plied back onto the CD spindle. Then it sat on that spindle for 5 years before I finally unrolled it and took this photo.

Part of me wants to just keep it skeined as a memento. On the other hand, I have the urge to un-ply it, un-spin it, and then spin it again to pull out the thick slubs. What would y’all do - keep it or modify it?

Learning to Spin in 2006
Spin Party 2006-09-08 6   Spin Party 2006-09-08 1

2 comments:

  1. i personally would buy this from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and if you do want to sell it, shephaestus9 at gmail is the way to reach me ;}

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, however, I moderate weekly, so your comment may not appear for several days. If you have a question, please remember to post your contact info. Thanks!