Saturday, March 12, 2005

Crochet Flowers and Sweater Recycling

Mom's Crochet Hat for RavenMy Mom recently came to Arkansas for my sister's & my dad's birthdays, and we all had a great time. She's an ex-crochet-junkie, and was delighted that I'm now just as crazy about yarn. Now she's a workaholic, so has no time to make those beautiful huge afghans, but I got her crocheting again for just a few days. In less than 2 hours, she hooked up a cute little hat for Raven, and I applied my flowers to it. What a team! I have a new passion for crocheting flowers. This spring, you'll will see them on everything of mine.


MayaAlready comfortable with yarn, my Mom learned how to both knit and purl in about 10 minutes! I guided Raven through the knit stitch a couple weeks ago, and she's got little garter stitch project going, though she only has patience for a row a day. My next challenge is to teach a guy how to knit. So far, I haven't found a willing candidate.


Cone of Mystery Chenille YarnI bought my first big yarn cone. It's 3 pounds of red & burgundy worsted chenille, a bargain for $12. It beckons a nice fall or Christmas sweater, so for now, I'll just let it sit, and let the inspiration come later.


Sweater for Recycling YarnAs if I need more yarn, I've gained interest in sweater recycling. I've want to unravel this green cabled tent for a St. Paddy's day project, but I fear time is running out. I also have some huge men's wool sweaters, which may become something felted, like mittens or slippers.


I haven't been to any SnB club meetings recently, due to busy family schedules, and I've yet to meet my knit-buddy Gina in person. It all my fault, because when I finally have free time, the last thing I want to do is get off my ass and do something productive besides knit while watching TV (not always a wise combo), or reading the endless knitting and crochet info on the web, or thumbing through my growing magazine and book collection while fantasizing about that first perfect sweater I'll make for myself....

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,
    I'm Kate from Tasmania, Australia and I too am obsessed with crochet!! What. Great team effort with the hat and flowers you and ur mum made!
    Did you end up finding. Guy to teach to crochet? That's a good idea! :) Kate

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, however, I moderate weekly, so your comment may not appear for several days. If you have a question, please remember to post your contact info. Thanks!