Thursday, May 05, 2005

Knitter Profile

Last update: May 31, 2005

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
Some lines are good, some not. I'm a yarn enthusiast, so anything knittable is fun. I am a bit of a yarn snob though, since nothing compares to natural fibers that took millions of years of evolve.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I like to crochet too, and knit on looms and machines, but I definitely like the needles best. I'm intrigued by spinning, but have no knowledge or supplies, yet.

3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
I get snotty in high levels of pollen, mold, and pollution. I quit smoking long ago, and the smell irks me now.

4. How long have you been knitting?
Since December 2004, I haven't spent a day without yarn.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Amazon.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
My favorites are "edible" scents like vanilla, mint, fruit, nuts, citrus, and chocolate, or lavender and bergamot.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
As long as it's chocolate, fruit, or wine.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I love to dabble in anything crafty, like sewing, beading, candle making, and scrapbooking, but yarn-crafts dominate.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I play endless hours of MP3’s while knitting. I like female artists who write, play, and sing, like Ani DiFranco, Sheryl Crow, Poe, Jewel, Avril Lavigne, Juliana Hatfield, Liz Phair, & more. I dabble in music too.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
I prefer bold jewel tones, rich earth tones, and natural whites. I’m not crazy about pastel, black, or stark white yarns.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I'm a single mom of one kid and a dog, and engaged to a nice man, so everything will change soon.

12. What are your life dreams? (Really stretching it here, I know)
I want my child to grow up happy and successful. I want to finish my college degree and write a book. I want to make the world a better place and get paid for it, so I can spend it on arts, crafts, music, and a cozy home, then retire with a small farm.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
Yarns that consist of mostly natural fibers are the best. I love soft wool when it’s cold, and cotton or linen when it’s warm. I like variegated colorways and a little texture. That recycled silk yarn looks amazing, but I haven’t tried it yet.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I don’t like yarns with the paper strips, metallics, or anything rough and scratchy.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
Currently, knitting IS my obsession. I knit until either my hands or brain hurts. I collect as many yarns, tools, and books that I can afford. I love yarn, and want to learn everything about it and wrap myself completely in it.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I love to knit little things, like socks, hats, scarves, purses, and cute tops.

17. What are you knitting right now?
Queen Kahuna Socks
Fair Isle Wine Cozy
Tank top for DD
Ponchette for Mom
Knitty's "Tempting" for Me!

18. What do you think about ponchos?
Some are nice, some aren’t, but I want to make myself one soon.

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
For scarves, I like short wooden straights. For everything else, I prefer dpn’s and circulars. I love my Boye Needlemaster, and the nickel-plated circs, Inox Express, Addi Turbo, and Susan Bates Silverado.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I like metal best, sometimes wood, but not plastic.

21. Are you a sock knitter?
Yes!

22. How did you learn to knit?
On Nov. 27, 2004, my DD and I were entranced by a knitting loom demonstration at Crafty & Company. We escaped with only a double rake loom and 6 yarn balls. The first week of December, I was already shopping for more yarn, and saw the Susan Bates kits, along with The Ultimate Sourcebook of Knitting and Crochet Stitches. They came home with me, and I learned to knit and crochet simultaneously. Crochet was easy, but my knitting samples sucked. Around Christmas, I read Stitch ‘n Bitch by Debbie Stoller, and knitting started to make sense. Then in Feb. 2005, I read Montse Stanley’s Knitter’s Handbook, which details nearly every knitting technique, and I realized I was making twisted knit stitches by wrapping the yarn backwards. Finally my knitting started to take shape! Then, Zimmermann’s Knitting Without Tears, and Righetti’s Knitting in Plain English made me laugh, inspired, and encouraged me. Today, my family is awed that I taught myself, but I couldn’t have done it without the wisdom of all these great knitters and their fine books.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?
Two months - I finish everything, or frog the hopeless.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
I like the domestic ones, especially dogs, horses, sheep, and chickens. I also like butterflies, dragonflies, ladybugs, and bees.

25. What is your favorite holiday?
I love the entire winter season. From Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, to New Year’s, it’s a 10 weeklong celebration of life, harvest, spirituality, and resolution.

26. Is there anything that you collect?
I’m not big collector, but I do like pretty boxes, photo frames, and… does yarn count?

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I have a few current issues of every magazine I could find locally. I’ll eventually subscribe to Vogue, Easy Knitting, and Interweave first, maybe Knitter’s, and Knit ‘n Style later.

28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?
I have enough knitting instruction books, so I’m after specialty and pattern books, like the cute Vogue Knitting To Go series and those dye-cut books, Knit Hats, Knit Scarves, and Knit Socks (I already have Knit Mittens). See my wish list for the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, however, I moderate weekly, so your comment may not appear for several days. If you have a question, please remember to post your contact info. Thanks!