Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Can Cozy Knitting Pattern

Here in Arkansas, we call them huggies, designed to keep your hands dry as you nurse an ice cold soda, beer, or for the healthy folks, bottled water.

This is the new and improved version. The original was just a simple tube, but the can slipped through, most often while drinking alcoholic beverages on carpet. So here's one with a safety feature. Enjoy!

  • Yarn: 35yd/32m of worsted-weight 100% cotton
  • Tools: set of 4 #6(4mm) dpn's, yarn needle, and optional 4mm crochet hook
  • Gauge: 4.25 sts/inch over fully stretched ribbing
Knitting Patter
  • CO 36 sts and distribute over 3 dpn's, 12 stitches each.
  • Join in the round, and work in ribbing of choice (1x1, 1x2, 2x1, 2x2 are all dandy) until your tube is 4 inches long.
  • Purl 1 round, then decrease as follows:
     
  • *K4, K2tog* rep to end of rnd
  • K even 1 rnd
  • *K3, K2tog* rep to end of rnd
  • K even 1 rnd
  • *K2, K2tog* rep to end of rnd
  • K even 1 rnd
  • *K1, K2tog* rep to end of rnd
  • K even 1 rnd
  • *K2tog* rep to end of rnd
     
  • Cut yarn, leaving an 8" tail, thread through last 6 sts, draw up tightly and secure, then weave in ends.
  • Optional hanging loop: Use the leftover cast on tail or join new yarn to cast on edge with a crochet slip stitch. Crochet a chain for 2" or so, then join with a slip stitch to the base of the first chain to form a loop. Fasten off, weave ends. Attach to a clip, keyring, or whatever you desire. Or crochet a super long chain - 24 inches or so - secure it to the opposite edge, to hang the cozy on your neck.


8 comments:

  1. i'm going to have to make one of these now...thanks so much for the pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, thanks for sharing your pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. totally adorable....the huggie/cozy too! must make one!wmsnj

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to Joann's Fabrics the other day and bought some size 7 dpns. I've never knit with them before. It took me a bit to get used to them, that's for sure! I'm working on knitting one of these in 2x1 rib. Thanks for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. On my end of Arkansas all the boys call them something a little more vulgar!

    Thanks for sharing the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My fifteen year old named them can condoms...my perverted friend says they are ribbed for our pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to share your Can Cozy pattern on my blog. Would that be ok? I am at www.vintageknitwit.blogspot.com. Thanks, Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE THIS PATTERN!!! I am a new knitter and I was looking for a pattern I could make some changes to to fit larger Crowler cans. I knitted this out first, then made some changes and I have it figured out! Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, however, I moderate weekly, so your comment may not appear for several days. If you have a question, please remember to post your contact info. Thanks!